APPEAL FOR RECOGNITION OF THE 1946 LVIV ‘SYNOD’ AS A SHAM

IT IS URGENT FOR ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS TO RECOGNIZE THE TERRIBLE TRUTH OF MARCH 10, 1946

vlcsnap-2016-03-04-22h20m19s201-300x225One of the bishops at the pseudo council of 1946 in the St George cathedral, Lviv.

On March 10, 1946, at Lviv, the Orthodox Church of Russia, under pressure from the Soviet government, forcefully integrated the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and claimed jurisdiction over it. When the participants in the synod on March 8 and 9, voted for the “reunification” of their Church with the Patriarchate of Moscow, all the Ukrainian Greek Catholic bishops were behind bars in prisons. The 216 priests and 19 laymen, assembled in the Cathedral of Saint George in Lviv by the NKVD, the ancestor of the KGB, were at the mercy of a “group of initiative” led by two Orthodox bishops, Antony Pelvetsky and Myhailo Melnyk, and an orthodox priest Gavril Kostelnyk. The archives reveal that it was Stalin himself who decided to eliminate the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in February 1945, twelve days after the Conference of Yalta with Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

vlcsnap-2016-03-04-22h26m07s93-300x225Fr Gavril Kostelnyk, one of the organizers of the Lviv pseudo synod

All serious historians and theologians have no doubts that the 8-10 March 1946 synod of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church at Lviv was only a sham. Bohdan Bociurkiw, who was a professor of history at Carleton University in Ottawa, wrote a comprehensive survey on this matter and it has never been contradicted. Pope Benedict XVI spoke of it in 2006, referring to it as a “pseudo-synod” which “seriously harmed Church unity”. Nicolas Lossky, a French Orthodox theologian who is a member of the Patriarchate of Moscow, also recognized that this was a false synod. Because of its suppression in 1946 and until 1989, the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, which counted more than 5 million adherents, became, in fact, both the principle victim and the principle force of opposition, within the borders of the USSR, to the Soviet regime. Thus we make an appeal to the present day Orthodox authorities in Russia and Ukraine and elsewhere, to recognize the invalidity of the tragic decisions of the council of Lviv.

The Orthodox Church of Russia as a whole cannot be held responsible for decisions taken by ecclesiastical authorities who were manipulated or terrorized by the NKVD-KGB. However we, as Orthodox Christians, living 70 years after the events, feel responsible for the culpable silence surrounding the destruction of this Church by the Soviet regime with the participation of the Patriarchate of Moscow. We know that millions of Orthodox Christians in the world firmly condemn the anti-religious persecutions of the Soviet government and of Joseph Djougachvili in particular.

Thus, on this commemorative day of March 10 1946 and on the eve of Sunday, March 13 2016, Sunday of the Great Pardon in the Orthodox liturgical calendar, we assure the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of our solidarity, of our prayers for all the innocent victims of this Church who were imprisoned, tortured, deported and assassinated by the Soviet government with the complicity of the Patriarchate of Moscow. We humbly ask their pardon for all the injustices they have suffered under the cover of the Orthodox Church and we bow down before the martyrs of this Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

• Antoine Arjakovsky, Orthodox Christian, Paris

• Andrey Chernyak, Orthodox Christian, Moscow

• Taras Dmytryk, Orthodox Christian, Lviv

• Jim Forest, Orthodox Christian, Amsterdam

• Fr. George Kovalenko, Orthodox Christian, Kyiv

• Inga Leonova, Orthodox Christian, New York

• Fr. Christophe Levalois, Orthodox Christian, Paris

• Fr. Michael Plekon, Orthodox Christian, New York

• Olga Sedakova, Orthodox Christian, Moscow

• Constantin Sigov, Orthodox Christian, Kyiv

• Cyrille Sollogoub, Orthodox Christian, Paris

• Daniel Struve, Orthodox Christian, Paris

• Natallia Vasilevich, Orthodox Christian, Minsk

• Bertrand Vergely, Orthodox Christian, Paris

• Andri Yurash, Orthodox Christian, Kyiv

For additional background, see the film “To Understand and to Forgive”:

 


8-10 March 1946  The illegal pseudo-synod took place in St. George’s Cathedral in Lviv. Neither the Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Catholic Church nor a single bishop takes part in this pseudo-synod. According to official sources, 216 priests (out of an approximate total of 2950 priests on the lands of Western Ukraine) and 19 lay “delegates” take part in the “synod.” The “synod” “voids” the Union of 1596 and subordinates the Ukrainian Catholic Church to the Russian Orthodox Church. The leaders of the “synod” are Rev. Hryhoriy Kostelnyk, Bishop Mykhaylo Melnyk and Bishop Antoniy Pelvetsky. At the conclusion of the “synod” a “solemn service” takes place in which the representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church, Metropolitan Ioann (Kiev), and Bishop Makariy (Lviv) participate. Telegrams containing greetings are sent to Patriarch Aleksey of Moscow, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Joseph Stalin, and the head of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian S.S.R.; “greetings” are also sent to the faithful and the clergy of Western Ukraine. The “synod” establishes the illegal status of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the U.S.S.R.
 
According to the Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate, during 1945-46 1,111 Ukrainian Catholic priests submit to Russian Orthodoxy. Among them are 532 from the Lviv Eparchy, 203 from the Peremyshl Eparchy, 277 from the Stanyslaviv Eparchy, and 99 others. At the same time approximately 1600 priests are imprisoned and several hundred go underground.


Львівський псевдособор 1946 року

Якщо в сучасному Львові мирно співіснують безліч християнських конфесій, то в часи атеїстичного комуністичного режиму така ситуація була недопустима. Після перетворення РПЦ на свою маріонетку радянське керівництво мало намір встановити релігійний контроль над усією територією СРСР, а тому Західну Україну та УГКЦ, що діяла в її межах, чекала трагічна доля. Апофеозом активної діяльності радянських спецслужб щодо цієї церкви став так званий Львівський Собор 1946 року, на котрому фактично було ліквідовано УГКЦ. В березні цього року виповнюється 70 років від тих похмурих подій.

Починаючи від 1944 року, коли Галичина знову опиняється під радянською владою, однією з мішеней для радянських спецслужб стає Українська Греко-Католицька Церква. Очевидно, що радянське керівництво одразу розуміло, що обернути цю церкву на свою маріонетку їм не вдасться, а тому була обрана тактика помірного наступу. Початково відбувався ідеологічний наступ на УГКЦ, виражений в провокаційних статтях. Кульмінацією цього початкового наступу можна вважати публікацію статті Я.Галана «З хрестом чи з ножем?» 10 квітня 1945 року. З її тексту можна було зрозуміти, що доля вищого духовенства УГКЦ уже вирішена. І справді, вже вночі 11 квітня було заарештовано Митрополита Й.Сліпого, єпископів Н.Будку та М.Чарнецького і 20 активних священиків. Інших єпископів також було “вилучено” в короткий час. А 14 квітня була оточена Духовна Семінарія. Було заарештовано священиків-викладачів, а теологів і семінаристів призовного віку насильно мобілізовано на військову службу.

 pelvetskiy-kostelnik-melnik

Президія – А.Пельвецький, Г.Костельник та М.Мельник. 8 березня 1946 року

Після арешту митрополита та єпископів УГЦК була фактично обезголовлена, однак не знищена. Це розуміли й радянські спецслужби, а тому мали намір і далі продовжувати свою боротьбу. Розуміючи, що навіть після арешту хоч усіх священників, віряни від своєї віри добровільно не відмовляться, було розроблено план про так зване «возз’єднання» греко-католицької церкви з православною церквою. Для його втілення необхідно було створити ініціативну групу з середовища самих же греко-католицьких священників, котра повинна була, згідно з інструкцій радянського керівництва, декларативно заявити про розрив із Ватиканом і переконати уніацьке духовенство до переходу в православ’я. Уже на кінець травня – початок червня 1945 року така ініціативна група була створена в складі трьох осіб, а саме пароха Преображенської церкви Гавриїла Костельника, а також священників Михайла Мельника та Антона Пельвецького з Перемиської та Станіславівських єпархій відповідно.

telegrama-aleksiya

Екзарх України Іоан зачитує учасникам Собору телеграму Патріарха московського і всієї Русі Алексія. 9 березня 1946 року

Діяльність ініціативної групи тривала майже рік. Її зусиллями, в поєднанні з терором радянських спецслужб, вдалося переманити до російського православ’я близько тисячі священників, більшість з котрих змушені були здійснити свій перехід не з власної доброї волі. Проте, ще більше греко-католицьких священників було арештовано. По завершенню діяльності ініціативної групи назріла ще одна проблема. Для проведення собору необхідні єпископи, але таких серед його прихильників не було. Для виправлення цієї ситуації в лютому 1946 року делегація ініціативної групи у складі 13 священників вирушила до Києва, де православний митрополит Іоан висвятив на єпископа А.Пельвецького  та М.Мельника. Цікаво, що Г.Костельник сан єпископа так і не отримав, оскільки був одружений.

Однак, скликаний на 8-10 березня 1946 року в храмі Святого Юрія собор канонічним все одно не став, оскільки скликали його священнослужителі уже РПЦ, а не УГКЦ. Цікавий той факт, що багато учасників субору були доставлені на нього безпосередньо радянськими спецслужбами, та й сам перебіг усього дійства відбувався під їхнім пильним наглядом та контролем. Як наслідок, збережених фотографій Львівського Собору практично не має, однак є документальний кінофільм, спеціально знятий з метою пропаганди. Завдяки зусиллям дослідниці Тетяни Ємельянової, котра провела кропітку працю з цим кінодокументом, ми маємо можливість побачити кадри з перебігу славнозвісного Собору.

makariy-i-nestor

Єпископи Макарій і Нестор несуть до храму Св. Юра ікону Божої Матері, привезену з Києво-Печерської лаври. 10 березня 1946 року

Президію Собору складали отці Г.Костельник, А.Пельвецький, М.Мельник; секретаріат Собору – отці Ю.Ванчицький і М.Павлосюк, яких, до речі, ніхто не обирав. Очевидці цього дійства стверджували, що хоч за офіційними підрахунками делегатів було 216, насправді ж їх було значно менше, приблизно 140. 8 березня собор одностайно прийняв рішення анулювати постанови Берестейської унії з 1596 р., відірватись від римської (папської) Церкви, повернутися до прадідівської православної віри та возз’єднатися з Всеросійською Православною Церквою в Радянському Союзі.

На другий день, 9 березня, Собор розглядав питання «канонічного оформлення» прийнятого рішення про «возз’єднання» з РПЦ. Засідання розпочалося спільною відправою літургії єпископами Макарієм, Нестором, Антонієм і Михайлом. Владика Макарій здійснив чин «приєднання до Православної Церкви» учасників Собор. Всі учасники зібрання мали підписатися під двома основними документами – зверненням до патріарха Московського і всієї Руси Алексія і телеграмою до голови Президії Верховної Ради УРСР Михайла Гречухи.

blagoslovennya

Митрополит Іоанн у супроводі єпископів і священиків з балкону архієписькопського дому благословляє вірян, котрі вперше дізнаються про “самоліквідацію” УГКЦ. 10 березня 1946 року

Третій день Собору – Неділя Торжества Православ’я – розпочався Архиєрейською Божественною Літургією, яку відправив митрополит Іоан у співслужінні чотирьох православних єпископів, у т. ч. Антонія Пельвецького і Михаїла Мельника. Це стало першою відкритою для сторонніх очей подією на Соборі.  На ознаменування «возз’єднання» патріарший екзарх подарував до храму Св. Юра ікону Богородиці з Києво-Печерської лаври.

Мешканці Львова дізналися про офіційну «самоліквідацію» УГКЦ тільки 10 березня. З того часу майже пів століття Українська Греко-Католицька Церква змушена була діяти у підпіллі, аж поки наприкінці 1980-х рр. не було відновлена її офіційна діяльність.

Володимир ПРОКОПІВ